County Board hires
By Byron Higgin
Lyon County correspondent
With state mandates on improved court space in mind, the Lyon County Board of Commissioners voted Tuesday to hire Vetter Johnson Architects of Minneapolis to conduct a space need study on the current courthouse.
The contract for the “space study will not exceed $17,500,” said County Administrator Loren Stomberg.
“I would like updates to the board once a month (on how they’re doing),” said Commissioner Rodney Stensrud.
Services to be provided by Vetter Johnson include:
• Surveys of existing building elements and systems to determine existing conditions and how they affect modifications.
• Confirming how the system operates and exploration of future needs and technologies. “A written program will document space needs,” said Steve Johnson.
• Development of broad-brush concepts depicting potential modifications to the existing facilities and the potential for building expansion.
• Review of preliminary concerts with courts and county representatives.
• Documentation to assist the construction manager as they develop preliminary estimates of costs — plus a “phasing plan.”
• Final presentation to representatives of the courts system and the county board.
The architect will determine what is needed to meet state standards in the Lyon County Courthouse.
Recently, the state sent out standards that courthouses must meet in the light of new security and “needs” proposals.